A week before the Asia’s 50 Best Bars 2021 main event on May 6, the folks from 50 Best have announced, for the first time, the extended 51-100 placements on the list.
This extension is designed to “shine the spotlight on more bars than ever before”, says Mark Sansom, Content Editor for Asia’s 50 Best Bars, in a media release. “The last year has been devastating for hospitality and it is vital that we support as many businesses as possible as part of their recovery.”
While this is the first time Asia’s 50 Best Bars has revealed the 51-100 rankings, the practice isn’t new for the World’s 50 Best Bars held annually in November.
Perhaps by virtue of an extended list, it welcomes, for the first time, bar entries from Sri Lanka and Vietnam. From the former are Botanik Rooftop Bistro & Bar in Colombo and Smoke & Bitters in Hiriketiya, while from the latter are Ne Cocktail Bar in Hanoi, Summer Experiment in Ho Chi Minh, and Hybrid in Nha Trang.
Further entries from up-and-coming spots in the region include newcomers from Indonesia – Wishbone from Semarang and A/A Bar from Jakarta – as well as Mu from Taipei, that’s helmed by Bannie Kang, the winner of this year’s Mancino Bartenders’ Bartender Award.
The list also reveals that The Old Man Hong Kong, ranked No.2 in Asia’s 50 Best Bars 2020, has plunged to No.54 in the rankings. This comes on the back of the bar’s former owners having left and started a new bar, Penicillin, which took home the Ketel One Sustainable Bar Award 2021 just seven months after opening.
In Asia’s cocktail capital of Singapore, notable mentions include Ah Sam Cold Drink Stall, Live Twice and Junior The Pocket Bar, that have all made their way onto the (albeit extended) placements for the first time. Gibson, ranked No.25 last year, however, has come in at No.66.
Still, Japan dominates the 51-100 list with 14 entries. New to the scene Ishinohana in Tokyo comes in ahead of the pack at No.56, with other ranking bars from Tokyo including the likes of Bar Landscape, Bar Orchard Ginza and Gen Yamamoto. In other parts of Japan, Bar Rocking Chair from Kyoto, Ark Lounge from Aomori and Bar D from Kanagawa have made it onto the list.
For the full 51-100 list, see below.
51. The Back Room (Manila, Philippines)
52. Asia Today (Bangkok, Thailand)
53. Thaipioka (Bangkok, Thailand)
54. The Old Man (Hong Kong, China)
55. Draft Land (Taipei, Taiwan)
56. Ishinohana (Tokyo, Japan)
57. Bar Landscape (Tokyo, Japan)
58. Coley (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
59. Hoots’ (New Delhi, India)
60. Mixology Heritage (Tokyo, Japan)
61. Oto (Manila, Philippines)
62. Lamp Bar (Nara, Japan)
63. Pussyfoot Saloon (Seoul, South Korea)
64. Epic (Shanghai, China)
65. 8 1/2 Otto e Mezzo Bombana (Hong Kong, China)
66. Gibson (Singapore)
67. Rabbit Hole (Bangkok, Thailand)
68. The Shady Acres (Hong Kong, China)
69. The Bellwood (Tokyo, Japan)
70. Employees Only (Singapore)
71. Ah Sam Cold Drink Stall (Singapore)
72. Bar Orchard Ginza (Tokyo, Japan)
73. Botanik Rooftop Bistro & Bar (Colombo, Sri Lanka)
74. Wishbone (Semarang, Indonesia)
75. Live Twice (Singapore)
76. Ne Cocktail Bar (Hanoi, Vietnam)
77. Summer Experiment (Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam)
78. Pahit (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
79. The Other Room (Singapore)
80. Bar Rocking Chair (Kyoto, Japan)
81. 008 Bar (Bangkok, Thailand)
82. Junior The Pocket Bar (Singapore)
83. A/A Bar (Jakarta, Indonesia)
84. Liquid Factory (Tokyo, Japan)
85. Sugar Ray You’ve Just Been Poisoned (Bangkok, Thailand)
86. Mixology Bar (Seoul, South Korea)
87. Mixology Salon (Tokyo, Japan)
88. Tender (Tokyo, Japan)
89. Soko (Seoul, South Korea)
90. Mu (Taipei, Taiwan)
91. Smoke & Bitters (Hiriketya, Sri Lanka)
92. Southside Parlor (Seoul, South Korea)
93. Smalls (Bangkok, Thailand)
94. Ark Lounge (Aomori, Japan) *tied with below
94. Bar D (Kanagawa, Japan) *tied with above
96. Hybrid (Nha Trang, Vietnam)
97. Pine & Co (Seoul, South Korea)
98. Memento Mori (Tokyo, Japan)
99. Gen Yamamoto (Tokyo, Japan)
100. Goa Nights (Macau, China) *tied with below
100. Buccaneers Rum & Cocktails (Manila, Philippines) *tied with above